Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Choral discophiles--rejoice!

As I was searching for a relevant online resource today, I happened upon this painstakingly detailed discography of the late choral conductor Robert Shaw (1916-1999).


One of the benefits of going to the College of Wooster was that music majors were able to buy reduced-price tickets to Cleveland Orchestra concerts. I remember during my first year I put in my name to get tickets for the Fauré Requiem, conducted by Shaw. I was so excited when I found that I was going. I saw him conduct the Cleveland Orchestra three or four more times when I was at Wooster, including Mahler's 3rd and 8th symphonies, and Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms. It was a special treat when the Wooster Chorus was invited to attend a rehearsal in which he was preparing a special tribute concert to the late Oberlin conductor Robert Fountain. After his death, NPR's Performance Today broadcast a touching rememberance of Robert Shaw's life. He said something to the effect of:

Every time we perform a work, we are cognizant of the fact that someone is singing (or hearing) it for the first time...and someone is singing (or hearing) it for the last time.
I have another story to share about Robert Shaw, but I think I need to listen to Brahms's German Requiem right now.

1 Comments:

At Wed Feb 22, 04:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

I sang with him in his last few performances. He was absolutely brilliant, and looked like everyone's favorite grandpa. That's about the extent of my personal recollection, honestly. I think I wrote a poem for the scrapbook the ASOC put together...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home