Saturday, February 04, 2006

Hello world!

Yes, this blog has been dark for a long time now.

It will re-awaken shortly as I will be one of the bloggers for the upcoming Music Library Association conference in Memphis, Tennessee. I'll post some of the insights and behind-the-scenes news of this large gathering of over 500 music librarians. Luckily, there are a large bank of computers in the vendor area, where I'll post from. You can also read the posts on the MLA Infoshare blog, where others from the conference will post.

So, what's up with me?

My job continues to be interesting. I'm listening to a lot of unique performances that were recorded for the Voice of America network back in 50s, 60s, and 70s. Really cool stuff: jazz, folk, classical. Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Judy Collins, Doc Watson, Bill Monroe, and even Bob Dylan from the 1963 Newport Folk Festival. (Jean Ritchie seemed to have to emcee hundreds of concert stages, and perform lots--busy lady.) Quality orchestra concerts from the Inter-American Music Festival, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, and other groups. I've gotten to consult lots of scores and reference materials to do my work, and lots of Internet databases as well. (Thank goodness the library has Grove Music Online along with ProQuest Historical Newspapers).

And the result of all this good work?

I just got a promotion and an extension on my contract until the end of July! :-) I am now officially a "Librarian." That's my title. There should be a / title there, but there's not. My job is no longer considered to be a recording engineer though. I'm a now a cataloger. :-) I'm still doing the same work I was before, but it's a nice recognition for a job done thus far. I couldn't be happier about that.

I've been busy writing notes for the Bach Consort, and for CCS we're working on Carmina Burana right now. (I love singing the high baritone parts--there's nothing more satisfying that belting a high F# and sliding down an octave). After that, we have the Britten War Requiem and Mahler 8 to conclude our season. Not bad. I had to take a bit of a break from the chorus, and not do the Christmas concerts or the run-out with Dmitri Hvorostovsky to sing at the Kennedy Center and up in New York. I'm really focusing on the personal, and not trying to schedule every minute of my time these days. Work is all well and good, but my other time is mine to give and should be doled out thoughtfully.

Movies I've seen since Christmas: King Kong, Memoirs of a Geisha, Brokeback Mountain, The Producers, and Good Night & Good Luck. All excellent films. I'm looking forward to seeing the new documentary about the musicians of the Philadelphia Orchestra, Music from the Inside Out.

I've been following Greg Sandow's blog, and reading his book-in-progress which he is performing on Artsjournal.com.

Books I've been reading: Currently...Empire of the Air: The Men Who Made Radio by Tom Lewis about Marconi (who had the first patents for wireless telegraphy), Lee DeForest, David Sarnoff (RCA), and Major Edwin Armstrong (FM). Before that I read a history about codemaking and codebreaking called The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography by Simon Singh. Two books I read in the late fall were: Setting the Record Straight: A Material History of Classical Recording by Colin Symes ; and Patience and Fortitude: Wherein a Colorful Cast of Determined Collectors, Dealers and Librarians Go About the Quixotic Task of Preserving a Legacy by Nicholas A. Basbanes (author of A Gentle Madness: Bibliophiles, Bibliomanes, and the Eternal Passion for Books, and who I saw speak at the Library of Congress last week talking about his new book, Every Book Its Reader: The Power of the Printed Word to Stir the World).

Oh yeah, and I joined a gym today. It's a little late for a New Year's resolution. So, if you are one of those who I talk to regularly, please ask me how it's going. Good night...I am outta here.

1 Comments:

At Mon Feb 06, 08:22:00 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Hey! Congratulations on the promotion and new title! And I can say, I knew you when... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home