Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Guilty pleasures

Ok, I admit it. There are times when I love listening to country music.

Now, I don't mean the classic stuff, bluegrass, the honky-tonkers, western swing, Cash, etc. (which I love, but good luck finding on the airwaves except weekends on WAMU).

I mean the new stuff...the kind of music that puts you the divide between cultured and "ig'nt". You know, guys with cutoff shirts, wifebeater t-shirts, chaw, pick-up trucks, and wouldn't miss NASCAR for anything. As opposed to who I'm "supposed" to be. You know, classical music loving, wine-swishing, haute cuisine, pansy-ass, egg head liberal. Well, aren't I a paradox? Aren't we all, or wouldn't we like to admit that some of our likes don't fit the little boxes we put ourselves in?

Every so often I turn on a DC country station, WMZQ (a Clear Channel station--I know, double evil). I just need a quick hit of Martina McBride, Trace Adkins, or Keith Urban. (With the repetitive programming, I usually tune out after a few hours).

WMZQ.COM

Country music gets my blood pumping, reminds me of the simpler pleasures in life, and could even inspire me change my oil in my car someday (HAH!). I'm not saying a lot of these songs are profound, innovative, or even musically interesting. But they serve another function to me than other types of music do. For example, folk music often makes me contemplative, Celtic music makes me feel like dancing, and music theatre...well, again the stereotypes. I guess it reminds me of where I'm from, my grandparents, and about the folks from high school that stayed on in my hometown.

That's my honky-tonk ba-donk-a-donk. :P

So, what's your guilty pleasure?

1 Comments:

At Wed Dec 20, 07:38:00 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

OK, OK, I'll 'fess up:

Patty Loveless (esp. her Christmas album)... I like singing along

theme song from "Cowboy Bebop"

Il Divo... the mature woman's boy-band, but I'm a sucker for a smooth baritone....

Happy now? ;-) By the way, I LOVE your description of who you're "supposed" to be... you forgot latte-drinking, Volvo-driving, but the rest is hilarious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home