Sunday, March 20, 2005

Sticky Shed Syndrome...are you safe?

Well, I'm back...

After an extra day of car repairs (done in Ephrata, PA no less), I arrived back in Bloomington last night.

Lots of things to think about for the future. But for right now, I'm concentrating on binder hydrolysis (or the "sticky shed syndrome") as it occurs in tapes from the mid-1970s to the early 1990s for my trends and issues paper for Preservation class. As soon as I have a decent bibliography, I'll put it up. Lots of good stuff though, from your basic novice pages to scientific reports and patents!

I'm hoping to do a SLIS readings course this summer on film & video preservation. Since I've gotten a taste for magnetic recording, I really want to see what goes on when you combine moving images with sound. All the challenges, etc. I don't know how far it'll lead. But I want to be able to talk at least coherently when people ask me about how to preserve videorecordings. (As one person did at the board meeting this week). My answer: I'm going to look at that this summer. Everyone's just one step ahead of my knowledge curve. Back to another exciting week of audio preservation and cataloging!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home